H I S T O R Y
«KORAIS» Choir has been operating in Thessaloniki since 1994 and it is created by the Cultural-Spiritual Association «KORAIS» -at the same time of its foundation- to implement and promote the purposes of the association:
• highlight the modern Greek culture
· communicate with Greek communities abroad and promote their issues
From 1997 to the end of 2000 the Prefecture of Thessaloniki had the choir under its auspices and supported it morally and materially. However other bodies of the city helped it as well like :
The Ministry of Culture, of National Defense, of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Macedonia-Thrace, the Greek Committee of UNESCO, private educational institutions, well known businessmen active in town and Press organizations.
It has also developed partnerships with communities of Greeks abroad, the International Foundation “Mikis Theodorakis” based in Stockholm, the Union of Cypriots in North Greece, the clubs of Imvrians and Asia minor, the Federation of Pontian Associations, The Labor Center of Thessaloniki, the Medical Association of Thessaloniki, the Northern Greece Association of Publishers, the Social Union of Harilaou Residents and many others.
«KORAIS» Choir is consisted of 35 people and is mixed, 4 voices.
The Choir is conducted by Thanos Markatopoulos.
The Choir in its years of action :
• has organized big choral concerts and meetings in Thessaloniki
• has participated in many events in the Greek territory
• has travelled to European and other countries performing concerts
• has worked with famous composers, artists, orchestras and musical organizations